TOWN OF BLAINE
May 15, 2018
Chairman, Vern Drake called the May 15, 2018 monthly board meeting to order at 6:00 p.m.
Present were Chairman Vern Drake, Supervisor Jessica Estridge, Supervisor Dan Ellefson, Clerk Charla Zaccardi, Treasurer Larry Holter, Ron Gallagher, Ron and Sharon Proffit, Josh Proffit, and Matt Holter.
Clerk’s Report: Jessica made the motion to approve the minutes. Dan seconded. Motion approved.
Treasurer’s Report was provided by Larry Holter.
Expenses: Expenses were reviewed. Dan made a motion to approve payment of the bills as submitted. Jessica seconded. Motion approved.
Citizen’s Input: None
Chairman’s Report: Open Book was held today from 9 to 11 AM at the NCC. Board of Review will be held next Tuesday, May 22, 2018 from 9 to 11 AM at the NCC. Chairman Drake shared a 2018 Guide for Board of Review Members.
Bids for mowing were received from Larry Kern for Hillcrest Cemetery and Matt Holter for the Northland Community Center. Jessica made a motion to approve Larry Kern to mow Hillcrest Cemetery and Matt Holter to mow the Northland Community Center for 2018. Dan seconded. Motion approved.
Chairman Drake noted that the Wisconsin Towns Association May 2018 edition had a lot of useful and timely information on Board of Review changes; Emergency Management Plans; and Alternative Claims Procedure.
A letter was shared from Burnett County Land Services Department indicating the sign order process will now be done by e-mail.
Chairman Drake shared a letter from the Burnett County Historical Society where they offer two possibilities 1) To have one of their representatives attend one of our Board meetings to provide additional information and answer questions; 2) To hold one of our board meetings at The Forts and show us our Archival Vault, History Library and One-Room Schoolhouse.
Chairman Drake shared a promotional flyer for the 4th Annual Namekagon Barrens Wildlife Area (NBWA) Open House to be held June 9, 2018. This is open to the public.
Road Equipment Update: Road equipment is in good shape.
Road Condition Report: Roads generally are in good condition. The legal issue has been resolved for Big Hill Road and the snowmobile/ATV trail will be open next year. Ron will work on improving this additional one quarter mile as time permits.
Northland Community Center:
- Inventory will be taken on all the old tables and chairs and we will revisit this issue again in June to determine how many of the old tables and chairs will be kept and placed in storage, and how many will be made available for any residents that have use for them.
- A Pet Policy is in place as of May 15, 2018 and has been posted. Jessica made a motion to adopt this new No Pet Policy that includes the exclusion of service animals. Dan seconded. Motion approved.
- The presentation from Burnett County Sheriff Wilhelm regarding “Security for Places of Worship and Public Buildings” was discussed. Jessica made a motion to take the “No Weapons” signs down at the Northland Community Center. Dan seconded. Motion approved.
Waste & Recycle Transfer Station: None.
- Signature on bank accounts: Chairman Drake shared an article from Wisconsin Towns Association regarding appointment of deputy clerks and treasurers and signatures on bank accounts. Jessica moved to pass a resolution to eliminate the need of the Chairman to sign checks in accordance with Wisconsin State Statue 66.0607(3). In accordance with Wisconsin Stats signing of town checks only require the signature of the Town Clerk and the Town Treasurer. Dan seconded. Motion approved. Jessica made a motion to authorize the two supervisors to be signatories on the checking account in case the clerk and the treasurer should become absent, ill or incapacitated. Dan seconded. Motion approved.
- What if any action should be taken regarding the preservation of the old town hall? No action has been taken. Jessica will investigate and bring to the board historical information at the June meeting and a decision will be made at that time.
- Dan made a motion to approve the renewal liquor license for Otis’s Bar and approve the new liquor license application for Hillside Inn, LLC. Jessica seconded. Motion approved.
- Jess reported on North ambulance service and will share minutes from the quarterly meeting when they are available. It was mentioned that North is working out well. Some discussion ensued regarding where the ambulances were located. Grantsburg, A & H and Webster house the ambulances. Please call 911 for emergencies and for non-emergencies please call the Sherriff’s Office at (715) 349-2128.
- Logging update. Dan stays in communication with loggers and the recent logging is being done by Fornengo and they will cooperate with road repair.
- Chairman Drake shared a letter from the State of Wisconsin, Office of the Governor, Scott Walker. This letter confirms that the Town of Blaine grant application has been approved for the 2018-2019 Town Road Improvement Discretionary Program (TRID) for the reconstruction of the South Markville Road. The Town of Blaine will receive a matching grant of approximately $125,000.00 for this project from the Wisconsin Department of Transportation.
- Chairman Drake shared a handout with the board and one he will share with residents titled “Procedure and Timetable for the McGraw Lake Road Resurfacing Project”. There was a discussion regarding the clearing and the disposition of the useable wood in the right-of-way.
- Jessica gave the board an update on Don Slipher’s hearing aids. She is in the process of finding out information on workmen’s comp insurance regarding an incident that occurred as an employee on town property in 2012.
ITEMS TO BE PLACED ON THE JUNE AGENDA:
- Jim Tolbert, Director, Burnett County Emergency Management, will be at the June 12th board meeting. Chairman Drake shared an article regarding Emergency Management Plans from Wisconsin Towns Association May 2018 edition. We will begin the process of developing a town emergency plan.
- Alternate Claims Procedure
- NCC – Table and chair inventory
- More information regarding the two historical buildings in town
Jessica made a motion to adjourn at 7:43 pm. Dan seconded. Motion passed. Meeting is adjourned.
Charla Zaccardi, Clerk
Signed and dated this _15th day of May 2018.
Vern Drake, Chairman